Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Review of the new Star Wars!

Well, I know that this is late, since the Star Wars movie came out weeks and weeks ago. Life happens, though, and I felt like I wanted to mull over the story in my head for a while.

To be perfectly honest...(please don't shoot me) I am not a big fan of Star Wars. I thought that the other movies had poor writers and poor acting. Between those two issues, plus the special affects that were definitely wanting, I just don't enjoy them all that much. The only reason that I wanted to go see the new Star Wars in the first place is because I am a movie-aholic. However, when I watched it, I was very pleasantly surprised. And this is why...

BEWARE OF SPOILERS!

First of all, I feel like the atmosphere and setting of the movie was better in every way. I think that one of the reasons why I didn't like the first movies was because it just didn't seem real to me. It was too far-fetched and abstract and poorly done that it just wouldn't come together in my mind. However, the whole story, the way it was pulled together, put something that was very tangible in my hands. The fights in space, the sandy hell that Rey lives on, the ruins from battles in previous movies...it was all very interesting and full of Easter Eggs. Even the creatures that they brought in were more real because of the way that they were handled.

I think that my favorite part of this movie was the character development. I usually don't like female characters in movies, but I LOVED Rey. The mystery of her past, the smart, hardened shell and sensitive core. I liked how they involved the story of a storm trooper who found that the fear and the death was just too much for him. Unlike from the other movies, these characters took on a life of their own...and thank goodness they weren't whiny! It was also neat how they wove old and new characters together, creating totally new scenarios and emotions to go with.

Darth Vader will always be one of my favorite bad-guys in movie history, but I thought that Kylo Ren was a good antagonist in his place. Like any good antagonist, he had layers, weaknesses, and quirks (that thing where he hits his wounds all the time? It blew my mind!). Of course, there WAS that moment where he took of the mask and you realized that instead of a Tom Hiddleson type, you ended up with one of the most goofy looking men in the universe. Literally. Should I stop?

The plotline itself was probably the weaker part of the story. While I liked how the movie remained true to its history, sometimes I thought that it was a little too loyal to a flawed storyline. I mean, really... How many times are they going to leave a weakness on the outside of their most recent Deathstar. Really? And they are searching for Luke Skywalker? Because.....why? I just didn't think that "He will restore balance to the force" was enough of an explanation. I mean, there wasn't much peace when he was around in the first place. I don't know. It just didn't do it for me.

Other than that, I really loved the twists and turns that the story took, the fight against cowardice, the past, and rejection. Rey discovering that she is able to use the force, Kylo Ren's struggle between the Dark Side and good. I really feel like this movie was Star Wars 2.0. I am very excited for the next one to come out. And while I am disappointed in the choice of actor to play the antagonist, I can't wait to see what role he plays in the end.

Well, this ended up being more of a rant than a review, but I hope that you enjoy it. Thank you for reading this! If you enjoyed the movie, comment below and let me know what you liked about it! If you didn't, I would love to know why!

No comments:

Post a Comment